December Family Activity
Looking for fun ways to get continue Bookamania in your home? It's easy as Read, Discover, Create!
Questions and Activities:
- Watch the book trailer for Steam Train, Dream Train.
- There are many different kinds of train cars, how many can you name? Why do you think there are so many different kinds of train cars?
- What are freight and cargo? What types of things does each train car hold?
- Which of the train cars do you like best and why?
- The animals in Steam Train, Dream Train all go to sleep at the end of the book. What are some things that you do to get yourself ready for bed? Reading is a great bedtime activity. What are some books that you like to read in bed before you go to sleep?
- Can you imagine what it would be like to ride on board a model train? Explore the Great Train Story at the Museum of Science and Industry to find out.
- Learn more about illustrator Tom Licthenheld and find some fun activity guides related to the books he’s helped create.
Shoe Box-Box Car
Make your own customized train cars to hold any kind of cargo you’d like!
- Shoe box or other small box
- Crayons, colored pencils, markers or paint
- Cargo! (Items for your train car to hold: toys, playing cards, school supplies, books etc.)
Lay each side of your box down on a piece of paper and trace around the box. If your box has a lid, be sure to trace paper for that too. Cut out the shapes you traced. Decorate the paper to look like a train car, then glue the paper to each side of the box. Now it’s time to load up your train with cargo! What will go into your shoe box-box car? Building blocks? Toy cars? Crayons? Turn another box into a hopper, a tanker, or another train car from Steam Train, Dream Train and fill each with a different type of cargo.
I’ve Been Singing on the Railroad!
There are many songs we know that we can change the lyrics to to make up our own songs. Try changing the words to “Old MacDonald Had a Farm” to sing about the train in Steam Train Dream Train. It may go something like this:
In this book there is a train
And on that train there are some cars
With a vroom, vroom here
And a vroom, vroom there
Here a vroom
There a vroom
Everywhere a vroom, vroom!
In this book there is a train
What else do you see in the book that you can sing about? A chimney that goes puff, puff? Balls that go boing, boing? A dinosaur that goes chomp, chomp? There are even more things in the book for you to find and sing about! Can you think of another song you know that you can change the lyrics to?
Share with Us
Share your photos with us, and earn an entry in our raffle!
Let us know what your family created based on a book you’ve read. Email your project photo to email@example.com. We'll post your photo on Flickr, and your family will be entered in a raffle to win a prize.
Bookamania is made possible by a generous grant from Target Corporation through the Chicago Public Library Foundation.