2011 Children’s Summer Reading Program
Congratulations to the 58,678 kids and teens who participated in the 2011 Summer Reading Program. Together you read 1,400,386 books!
Dates: June 13, 2011 – August 6, 2011
- City of Chicago Department of Cultural Affairs and Special Events
- The Grant Park Music Festival in Millennium Park
- Chicago Symphony Orchestra
Please join us this summer in any of the Chicago Public Library’s locations, including all the neighborhood libraries and the Thomas Hughes Children’s Library. Children up to the age of 14 are invited to celebrate reading and music.
Picture-book readers and pre-readers who complete 25 pictures books will earn a Very Important Reader’s T-shirt. Children who read chapter books will earn a T-shirt when they complete 10 chapter books. Weekly book raffles, author visits, performers and presenters are just some of the activities that are featured throughout the summer in this drop-in program that helps motivate kids to read for fun.
For more information, contact your neighborhood library or call Children and Young Adult Services at (312) 747-4780.
Book Beats Summer Reading Program
- Sandy Lucas, Danny Draher and Lenny Marsh: Journey through the Genres
- Steve Belliveau: Good Vibrations—The Science of Sound
- Nic Collins or Alex Inglezian: Hidden Sounds in Everyday Objects
- Diane Delin: Jazz Conversation
- Patti Ecker & L. J. Slavin: A Sundown Serenade—Celebrating the Roots of Country
- Judith Heineman & Dan Marcotte: Jack Tales and Folk Tails—Folk Songs and Stories of America!
- Histories for Kids: Leaders of the Band
- Rick Kelley: Music A to Z
- Kidworks Touring Theatre: The Hip-Hop Workshop & Poetry Slam Jam
- Kidworks Touring Theatre: Music Around the World
- Betsey Means and Tamyala Grabill: The Alphabet Rhythm Project
- Avo Randruut: Symphony Exploration—The Rhythmic Journey of the Stone Horse
- Lynn Rymarz: For the Love of Music
- Nelson Sosa: Latin American Journey
- ScribbleMonster: Summer Reading Rocks
- ScribbleMonster: You Write the Songs
- Carol Weston: Keep the Beat
- Skinny Williams: A Celebration of Jazz, Blues and Gospel