Rahm's Readers: Full STEAM Ahead
Dates: June 17, 2013 - August 10, 2013
Get on board as we travel Full STEAM Ahead, bringing the best of Science, Technology, Engineering, Art and Math to the Chicago Public Library! Challenge yourself this summer with a redesigned Summer Learning Challenge, where you will Read, Learn, Discover and Create.
How Do I Participate?
- Read at least 300 minutes: Fiction books, informational books, audiobooks, magazines, newspapers and ebooks are great ways to experience the world and are all available at the Chicago Public Library. Read 20 minutes a day every day. A great way to do this is by reading aloud as a family.
- Complete at least 1 Learn activity: Participate in programs at your library where storytellers, scientists, engineers and artists come to you! Take a family field trip to the Museum of Science and Industry or complete one of their Summer Brain Games.
- Frank Lloyd Wright Preservation Trust: "Froebel Block Workshop”
- High Touch High Tech: “Globs, Goo, and Guts!”
- James Dyson Foundation: "Engineering with Dyson”
- Kidworks Touring Theatre: “Building Teams with S.T.E.A.M”
- Mad Science: “Heroes of Science”
- Mini Mad Science: “Sea, Sand & Surf”
- Project Syncere: “Empowerment Through Engineering”
- Rick Kelley: "The Math and Science Behind Making MUSIC"
- Ruth Loveless: “Family Math Games”
- Science Alliance: “Close Encounters of the Chemical Kind”
- Scribblemonster: “Music, Movement and Curiosity with Scribblemonster”
- Steve Musgrave: “Nature Drawing with Steve Musgrave”
- The Tales & Trails Storytellers: “Seekers and Dreamers in Science and Story”
- Discover at least 1 online resource.
- Create at least 1 project: Complete a design challenge, create a piece of art, write a story or poem, or build something on your own. Explore creations by award winning children's book illustrators at the Art Institute of Chicago's Play, Pretend, and Dream: Caldecott Medal and Honor Books, 2010-2013 exhibit or attend the Goodman Theatre's production of The Jungle Book.
For more information, contact your neighborhood library or call Children and Young Adult Services at (312) 747-4780.
Choose your adventure this summer. Explore the city, earn digital badges and build your future: chicagosummeroflearning.org.
The Chicago Public Library presents the Summer Learning Challenge in partnership with Chicago Public Schools, Chicago Park District, Museum of Science and Industry, Art Institute of Chicago, Goodman Theatre and the National Summer Learning Association.
The Summer Learning Challenge is sponsored by James and Madeleine McMullan Family Foundation, Cubs Care, Dr. Scholl Foundation, Kraft Foods Foundation, Macy’s Foundation, Motorola Solutions Foundation, Helen M. Harrison Foundation, RR Donnelley, ComEd, RPM Advertising and the Pearson Foundation through the Chicago Public Library Foundation.