Department of Environment
Chicago is a city that is leading by example:
• Chicago not only has a green roof grants program, we also have the most green roofs in America - more than 4 million square feet are either completed or under construction.
• Chicago not only has 28 miles of lakefront, we also protect parts of it with the Shoreline Protection Project.
• Chicago not only promotes energy efficient lighting, but we will hand out more than 500,000 free compact fluorescent light bulbs this year.
By working together, you can have a role in protecting Chicago’s environment, too.
Fact: A faucet dripping at the rate of one drop per second wastes 2,700 gallons of water per year.
Action: Repair dripping faucets and leaky toilets.
Fact: Packaging, such as cereal boxes, account for more than 30 percent of residential garbage
Action: Be a smart shopper by picking products with the least amount of packaging, and purchasing products with recyclable packing.
Fact: Operating a gas-powered lawn mower for one hour will produce the same pollution as driving a car 350 miles, i.e. from Chicago to Cleveland.
Action: Retire the old gas-powered lawn mower and purchase an electric or push mower.
Fact: Only 10 percent of the energy used by incandescent bulbs actually produces light; the remaining 90 percent of energy is given off as heat.
Action: Replace 4 incandescent bulbs with energysaving compact fluorescent light bulbs, which use 66 percent less energy than incandescent bulbs.
Fact: Approximately 67 million pounds of pesticides are used each year on lawns in the U.S.
Action: Consider stopping pesticide treatments on your lawn.
About Chicago Green Tech
The Chicago Center for Green Technology is the first rehabilitated municipal building in the nation to receive the LEED™ Platinum rating by the U.S. Green Building Council. Mayor Richard M. Daley dedicated the building in 2002 and it has gone on to become a national model for sustainable design and technology. The Center serves as the most comprehensive green design educational resource in the Midwest. We promote and advance sustainable homes, workplaces and communities to enhance the quality of urban life.
We work to facilitate this through educational programming and training, research and
demonstration and by acting as a resource network.
Chicago Center for Green Technology
445 N. Sacramento Blvd.
Chicago, IL 60612
Web: City of Chicago Department of Environment
Monday, Wednesday, Friday: 9:00 a.m. - 5:00 p.m.
Tuesday, Thursday: 9:00 a.m. - 8:00 p.m.
Saturday: 9:00 a.m. - 4:00 p.m.