John A. Roche
25th Mayor of Chicago
Frank, S.B. Chicago: Memorable Events and the Mayors We’ve Had. S.B. Frank, 1894. SPE CCW 41/14
- April 5, 1887
- Defeated Robert S. Nelson (Union Labor) and Joseph L. Whitlock (Prohibition)
- April 18, 1887: Inaugural Address
Term of Office
- August 12, 1844
- Utica, N.Y.
- 1871: Married Miss Emma Howard of Chicago; together they had four children
- 1873: Elected to Illinois State House
- Before mayoral term, he worked as machinery dealer first in the partnership James, Roche & Spencer, and later with J.A. Fay & Co.
- After mayoral term, he worked in the business sector as superintendent of Crane Works and managing director of Otis Elevator
- 1894: Became a trustee of the Lewis Institute and later became board president
- February 10, 1904
- Rosehill Cemetery, Chicago
- Andreas, A.T. History of Chicago: From the Earliest Period to the Present Time. A.T. Andreas, 1884–86.
- Chicago Daily Tribune, February 11, 1904, p. 4.
- Grossman, James R., Ann Durkin Keating and Janice L. Reiff, editors. Encyclopedia of Chicago. University of Chicago Press, 2004.