21st Mayor of Chicago
Frank, S.B. Chicago: Memorable Events and the Mayors We’ve Had. S.B. Frank, 1894. SPE CCW 41/14
- November 7, 1871
- Defeated Charles C.P. Holden (Democrat)
- December 4, 1871: Inaugural Address
Term of Office
- April 6, 1823
- St. John, New Brunswick, Canada
- 1846: Admitted to the bar and practiced law before becoming a journalist
- 1852: Married Miss Katharine Patrick of New Philadelphia, Ohio, with whom he had three daughters
- Served as editor-in-chief of the Chicago Tribune
- One of the founders of the Republican Party
- Resigned from office in September 1873 and went on a European tour, returning to Chicago in November 1874
- March 16, 1899
- San Antonio, Texas
- Graceland Cemetery, Chicago
- Andreas, A.T. History of Chicago: From the Earliest Period to the Present Time. A.T. Andreas, 1884–86.
- Chicago Daily Tribune, March 17, 1899, p. 7.
- Grossman, James R., Ann Durkin Keating and Janice L. Reiff, editors. Encyclopedia of Chicago. University of Chicago Press, 2004.