DeWitt Clinton Cregier
26th Mayor of Chicago
Frank, S.B. Chicago: Memorable Events and the Mayors We’ve Had. S.B. Frank, 1894. SPE CCW 41/14
- April 2, 1889
- Defeated Ira J. Mason (Prohibition), Charles Orchardson (Socialist) and John A. Roche (Republican)
- April 15, 1889: Inaugural Address
Term of Office
- June 1, 1829
- New York, N.Y.
- 1853: Married Miss Mary S. Foggin of New York City; together they had 10 children
- For 25 years he was chief and designing engineer of Chicago Water Department
- During Cregier’s term, Chicago captured the World’s Fair, beating out New York, St. Louis and Washington, D.C.
- 1894: Appointed superintendent of the United States Indian Warehouse in Chicago by President Cleveland
- November 9, 1898
- Rosehill Cemetery, Chicago
- Chicago Daily Tribune, November 10, 1898, p. 7.
- Chicago Daily Tribune, November 13, 1898, p. 3.
- Grossman, James R., Ann Durkin Keating and Janice L. Reiff, editors. Encyclopedia of Chicago. University of Chicago Press, 2004.