Special Collections and Preservation Division
Neighborhood Research History Collection
South Lawndale Community Collection
2 linear feet, 21 photographs
Call number: Archives_SLCC
The South Lawndale neighborhood is 5 miles southwest of the Loop. The neighborhood stretches roughly from Western Avenue west to the border with Cicero. The Stevenson Expressway forms the southern border, while the northern border diverges. The area was annexed into Chicago in stages, the eastern sections in 1869 and the other sections in 1889. South Lawndale is number 30 of the 77 official communities that make up Chicago.
For an overview of South Lawndale, see
- "South Lawndale," Encyclopedia of Chicago
- "CA30 -- South Lawndale," Local Community Fact Book, Chicago Metropolitan Area, 1990
The South Lawndale Community Collection has been arranged in the following subject series: Biographical Data; Business Establishments; Religious Institutions; Clubs & Organizations; and Schools. Photographs and other audiovisual materials are listed at the end of the finding guide.
Cross references have been provided for related subjects appearing in different series or record groups. Newsclips in the original collection which were duplicated in the library's newspaper holdings have been indexed in this guide, but not physically included in the manuscript collection.
Materials contained in this collection include newsclips, programs, school publications and other materials, newsletters and minutes.
Notable features of the South Lawndale Community Collection include:
Gerringer, August (publisher of the Chicago Daily Svornost)
Farragut High School
Harrison High School
Persons interested in Farragut High School (folders 1:5 through 2:2) should see also the Lawndale Crawford Community Collection, folders 4:23 through 4:28, which contain records of Farragut High School as well. Thirty-four photos of Farragut High School classes are also in the Lawndale Crawford Community Collection-see photos numbered LCCC 1.467 through 1.500.
Persons interested in Gary School should also see a photo of the school building in the Lawndale Crawford Community Collection, photo number LCCC 1.501.
Separation Record: Oversized Materials
The following items have been removed to the location provided:
Business Establishments Western Electric.
The Hawthorne Microphone. 7:27 (1928 Dec 31)-Oversize SL 1
The Hawthorne Microphone. XXVII:8 (1952 Feb)-Oversize SL 2
Processed July 1989.
The collection was originally housed at Chicago Public Library's Legler Branch Library. In the 1980s, with a grant from the Dr. Scholl Foundation, Special Collections transferred and processed the collection to make it fully available for research by the public.
The South Lawndale Community Collection is available to the public for research in the Special Collections and Preservation Division Reading Room on the 9th floor of the Harold Washington Library Center, 400 South State Street, Chicago, Illinois, 60605. The collection does not circulate although photocopy and photoreproduction services are available depending upon the condition of the original materials. First time patrons to Special Collections must present a photo identification and complete a Reader Registration Form. Telephone inquiries on this collection and other Special Collections holdings can be directed to 312-747-4875.
BOX 1 Series I: Biographical Data
1. Geringer, August-Biography, n.d.; Promotional material for the CHICAGO DAILY SVORNST, n.d.
Lorenz, Matthias E. See: Chicago Daily News, 1944 Apr 28
Melberg, Marie-Newsclip, n.d.
Series II: Business Establishments
CHICAGO DAILY SVORNOST
See: August Geringer, 1:1, above
Western Electric Company (Hawthorne Works)-THE
Oversize material (newsletter), 1928 Dec 31; 1952
Feb. See Oversize folders SL 1 and SL 2.
Series III: Religious Institutions
1a. John Huss Methodist Episcopal-Commemorative plaque; n.d.
2. St. Andrew's Evangelical-programs; 1911, 1912, 1917
Sts. Peter & Paul Croatian Greek Catholic SEE: CHICAGO DAILY NEWS, 1939 July 22
Series IV: Clubs and Organizations
Civic Youth Council SEE: CHICAGO DAILY NEWS, 1938 Sep 28
3. Harrison [High School] Historical Society-Minutes; 1938 Apr 14
Series V: Schools
4. Burns School-Programs; 1938, 1940, n.d.
5. Farrugut High School-Handbooks; 1938, 1951, n.d.
6. Farragut High School-Yearbook; 1935
7. Farragut High School-Yearbook; 1936
8. Farragut High School-Yearbook; 1937
9. Farragut High School-Yearbook; 1938
10. Farragut High School-Yearbook; 1939
11. Farragut High School-Yearbook; 1940
12. Farragut High School-Yearbook; 1493
1. Farragut High School-Yearbook; 1946
2. Farragut High School-Programs; 1935
3. Hammond High School-COTEC Magazine; 1919 Nov, 1920 Jan, Dec, 1921 Apr
1. Harrison High School-HARRISON HERALD (newspaper); 1939-41 1944 (not inclusive)
5. Harrison High School-HARRISONIAN (yearbook); 1920
6. Harrison High School-Felt patch swimming championship, 1919; picture of bldg.; programs, 1920s; tickets, 1920s SEE ALSO:
CHICAGO TRIBUNE, 1939 May 14, 1941 Feb 2
7. Hay School-Class list, 1939; newsclips, 1948-49; programs, 1938-43; promotional booklet, c. 1940
8. McCormick School-Programs; 1938-39
9. Whitney School-Class lists, 1938-47; History, n.d.; Programs, 1938-
10. Mayer, Harold M., "South Lawndale-An Island in the City of Chicago" Real Estate Magazine; 1941 Nov 1
11. Gary School-Correspondence and programs; 1937-40
1.1 25th Street & Central Park Avenue (Hitchcock home), 1902
1.2 Robert Burns School, exterior, 1938
1.3 McCormick School, class of Feb 1938
1.4 Eli Whitney School, class of Feb 1938
1.5 Eli Whitney School, class of Jun 1938
1.6 Eli Whitney School, class of Feb 1939
1.7 Eli Whitney School, class of Jan 1940
1.8 Eli Whitney School , class of Jun 1940
1.9 Eli Whitney School, class of Jan 1941
1.10 Eli Whitney School, class of Jun 1941
1.11 Eli Whitney School, class of Jan 1942
1.12 Eli Whitney School, class of Jun 1942
1.13 Eli Whitney School, class of Jan 1943
1.14 Eli Whitney School, class of Jun 1943
1.15 Eli Whitney School, class of Jan 1944
1.16 Eli Whitney School, class of Jun 1944
1.17 Eli Whitney School, class of Jan 1945
1.18 Eli Whitney School, class of Jun 1945
1.19 Eli Whitney School, class of Jan 1946
1.20 Eli Whitney School, class of Jun 1946
1.21 Eli Whitney School, class of Jan 1947