Special Collections and Preservation Division
Neighborhood Research History Collection
South Chicago Newspapers Collection
2 linear feet
Call number: Archives_SCNC
The collection contains issues of three newspapers from the South Chicago neighborhood: Calumet Record, Daily Calumet and South Chicago Daily Independent. Each of the three newspapers began publishing in the 19th century. The Daily Calumet had the longest run, covering the area from 1881 to 1987.
Although the collection is of scattered issues, the newspapers were saved because they specifically spoke to the history of the community.
The collection was originally housed in Chicago Public Library's South Chicago Branch Library. In the 1980s Special Collections, working with a Dr. Scholl Foundation grant, transferred and processed the collection to make it fully available to the public.
Originally processed 1986. Expanded and reprocessed August 1989.
The South Chicago Newspaper Collection is available to the public for research in the Special Collections and Preservation Division Reading Room on the 9th floor of the Chicago Public Library’s Harold Washington Library Center, 400 South State Street, Chicago, Illinois, 60605. The collection does not circulate, although photocopy and photoreproduction services are available depending upon the condition of the original materials. First time patrons to Special Collections must present photo identification and complete a Reader Registration Form. Telephone inquiries on this collection and other Special Collections holdings can be directed to 312-747-4875.
The Calumet Record
1. 1911 Feb 9 "Imperial
Edition... illustrating the varied interests and covering every line
of business in the Calumet area." [Part 2 only]
2. 1923 Oct 25 25th Jubilee Edition; extensive neighborhood history [Part 2 only]
3. 1929 Jun 27 Council votes $900,000 for Lake Calumet Harbor project; South Shore Branch of CPL opens
4. 1939 Aug 31 Lake Calumet Harbor a "reality" The Daily Calumet [Issues of 1893 to 1902 published under title The South Chicago Daily Calumet.]
5. 1885 Aug 13 Seventh anniversary, Independent Order of Forresters
6. 1885 Aug 24 Concern over Sunday observance in So. Chic.
7. 1893 May 1 World’s Columbian Exposition
8. 1893 Jul 6 World’s Columbian Exposition
9. 1893 Jul 7 World’s Columbian Exposition
10. 1896 May 28 Tornado heavily damages St. Louis
11. 1902 Mar 8 Reelection campaign of Alderman John H. Jones, 8th Ward; Election of most popular lady and gentleman members of a South Chicago Organization
12 .1905 Dec 8 Charles Bergner reminisces about South Chicago in the 1870s
13. 1908 Dec 12 Charity Ball at Lincoln Hall
14. 1909 Apr 3 8th Ward Alderman candidate John R. Emerson
15. 1909 Dec 2 Charity Ball at Lincoln Hall
16. 1909 Dec 4 Charity Ball at Lincoln Hall
1. 1910 Mar 9 Neil
Lykke campaign for 8th Ward Alderman (Republican)
2. 1910 Mar 12 8th Ward battle on prohibition
3. 1912 Feb 8 Pullman shops to build 8,000 cars; Woman’s Benevolent Association Charity Hall
4. 1920 May 24 Death of Andrew J. Griggs, retired manufacturer
5. 1928 Jul 3 Site chosen for East Side High School
6. 1935 Dec 18 South Shore Library article (page 3)
7. 1936 Jun 6 South Chicago Centennial edition
8. 1941 Oct 25 The Daily Calumet 60th anniversary edition
9. 1951 Jul 2 East Side Centennial edition
10. 1956 Jun 30 Dedication of Lake Calumet Harbor
11. 1957 Nov 12 The Daily Calumet 75th Anniversary edition
12. 1961 Oct 11 South Chicago 125th Anniversary edition South Chicago Daily Independent
13. 1883 Jan 1 History of Hyde Park
14. 1884 Apr 15 Democratic nomination, 1884 election