Special Collections and Preservation Division
Neighborhood History Research Collection
Girl Scouts of America Troop #427
.25 linear ft., 1 scrapbook
Call number: Archives_GSA
Girl Scout Troop #427 was organized in October of 1939, according to Mrs. Stekl, as a means to "help develop happy and well-adjusted girls who can use their energies, skills and talents efficiently to help others and serve their community." The girls of troop #427 were the first girl scouts in the Lawndale-Crawford area, and their meetings were held weekly at the Lawndale Boys Club.
Troop #427 was very active right from its inception. The activities the girls participated in during their first year as scouts included such things as socials with other troops, hobby shows, various ceremonies and programs, as well as numerous visits to hospitals and nursing homes.
Throughout the years, as membership in the troop grew, the girls became involved in more and more activities. During World War II, they held many rallies to raise money for war bonds, and adopted a number of servicemen to which they wrote letters and sent packages to. The girls also worked closely with various organizations such as the March of Dimes, and the Red Cross, as well as other girls scout and boy scouts troops to raise money for different causes, as they continue to do so today.
The papers that comprise the Girl Scouts of America, Troop #427 Collection, reflect the active participation and involvement of the scouts in the Lawndale-Crawford community, through brochures, correspondence, minute books, playscripts and programs. The files are arranged in alphabetical order by type of material.
One photographic scrapbook has been removed from the collection. The scrapbook contains approximately 305 photographs of the girls of troop #427 at various events and programs and covers the years 1941-1966.
Though the scrapbook is placed in its own box, it is still maintained with the manuscript collection. See Box 2.
The material comprising the Girl Scouts of America, Troop #427 Records was donated to the Lawndale-Crawford Historical Association by Mrs. Mildred Stekl, troop leader for over thirty years. The papers were processed as part of a local history grant to the Chicago Public Library, Special Collections Division from the Dr. Scholl Foundation, and made available for research in March of 1983.
The Girl Scouts of America Troop #427 Records are available to the public for research in the Special Collections and Preservation Division Reading Room on the 9th floor of the Harold Washington Library Center, 400 South State Street, Chicago, Illinois, 60605. The collection does not circulate although photocopy and photoreproduction services are available depending upon the condition of the original materials. First time patrons to Special Collections must present a photo i.d. and complete a Reader Registration Form. Telephone inquiries on this collection and other Special Collections holdings can be directed to 312-747-4875.
1. Brochure: Daisy Low of
the Girl Scouts, 1954.
2. Brochure: Flags of All Nations, 1953.
3. Certificate of recognition, 1944.
4. Certificates of registration, 1942-1947.
5. Correspondence, 1942-1945.
6. Correspondence, 1953, 1960, n.d.
7. Historical sketches, 1954.
8. Insignia, ca. 1960s
9. Laws and Promise, ca. 1945.
10. Minute book, May 21, 1948-June 12, 1957.
11. Newsclip, 1942.
12. Playscripts, 1946, 1949.
13. Playscripts, 1951, 1963.
14. Programs, 1949, 1952, 1963.
15. Programs, 1964-1966, 1971.
16. Song lyrics, ca. 1940-1960.
Scrapbook, photographic, 1941-1966.