Whitney M. Young, Jr.
About This Library
Whitney M. Young, Jr. Branch opened in 1973, replacing two storefronts that opened in 1927 at 824-26 E. 79th Street.
Formerly named Chatham Branch for the community in which it is located, the branch was renamed in honor of Whitney M. Young, Jr., the executive director of the National Urban League and a leader in civil rights and community development.
The building was designed by architect Hay Carow.