About This Library
West Town Branch, on the ground floor of the historic Goldblatt’s Building at 1625 W. Chicago Avenue, replaced two smaller storefront libraries.
The Goldblatt’s Building was designed by architect Alfred S. Alshuler and built between 1921 and 1928. It was the site of the original Goldblatt’s Department Store. In 1998, it was designated a Chicago landmark. At the urging of local preservationists and Mayor Richard M. Daley, the building was purchased and renovated by the City of Chicago in 1998.
The first floor was renovated for the Library’s use in 2010. In addition to the West Town Branch, the building houses other city agencies, including the Department of General Services, the Department of Family and Support Services and its West Town Satellite Senior Center operated by Sinai Health System.