About This Library
Walker Branch reopened September 5, 1995, following major construction and renovation. The architecture is Richardson Romanesque style. The exterior walls are the oldest structure owned by the Chicago Public Library.
In 1889-90, businessman George Clarke Walker donated the land and built a library. Upon its completion, the library and its materials were presented to the Village of Morgan Park. In 1894, the village turned over administration of the library to the University of Chicago. The university managed the library for its students and the village for 10 years, after which control of the library returned to the village. In 1914, Morgan Park was annexed to Chicago, and Walker Branch became the third branch of the Chicago Public Library. At that time, the building was renamed for its benefactor.