About This Library
Toman Branch reopened in 2005 after a major renovation and expansion of the existing historical building. The renovated and expanded structure preserves the facade and interior fireplace of the original facility.
The branch features artwork by Juan Chavez entitled “We Want to Know” and funded through the Percent for Art Ordinance administered by the City of Chicago Public Art Program.
Toman Branch first opened in 1927 as a replacement for the temporary library facility located in the Shedd Park Fieldhouse. The branch was named for John Toman, a Chicago politician and Cook County sheriff during the 1930s.