About This Library
Sulzer Regional Library, formerly Hild Regional Library, opened in 1985.
The library houses artwork funded through the Percent for Art Ordinance administered by the City of Chicago Public Art Program: “Petrouchka” by Nicholas Africano; “Untitled,” an oil on canvas by Sandra Jorgensen and “The Aeneid,” a mural by Irene Siegel.
The library was named for Conrad Sulzer, a pioneer settler of Ravenswood. Sulzer, a Swiss immigrant who arrived in Chicago in 1836, turned wilderness into a livestock farm and a horticulture garden. He served as collector of Ridgeville Township and assessor of Lake View Township, leaving a heritage of public service and commitment to the community, continued by his descendants through the Sulzer Family Foundation.
Sulzer Regional Library houses the Northside Neighborhood History Collection, which includes the Ravenswood-Lake View Community Collection.