About This Library
Sherman Park Branch opened November 10, 1910, in a club room of the Sherman Park Fieldhouse. The branch and the park were named for John B. Sherman, founder of the Chicago Stock Yards.
In 1933, the Chicago Public Library obtained a federal grant to finance the construction of a new library through the Public Works Administration. The current building officially opened October 18, 1937.