About This Library
Pullman Branch was rededicated July 30, 1994 after undergoing a major renovation.
Featured artwork at the branch includes “Jazz: Still a Four-Letter Word,” an acrylic on canvas by Orisegun Olomidun, and “Come Journey Through Corridors of Treasures,” a glass and ceramic tile mosaic by Nina Smoot-Cain and Kiela Songhay Smith. The art was funded through the Percent for Art Ordinance administered by the City of Chicago Public Art Program.
Pullman Branch was originally part of the campus of Pullman School of Manual Training, now Gwendolyn Brooks Preparatory High School, Chicago Public Schools, just west of the historic Pullman Factory.
A.F. Hussander designed the branch. The brick and terra cotta facades were designed in the classical style, using Corinthian plasters, bracketed cornices and ornamental spandrels depicting open books. The land and building funds were donated to the City of Chicago by the widow of George Mortimer Pullman, railroad tycoon and founder of the town of Pullman.
Pullman Branch was located at several other sites before the present facility was built in 1927.