About This Library
North Austin Branch reopened August 5, 1995 at its current location after undergoing new construction and renovation.
The branch features a reading garden and art funded through the Percent for Art Ordinance administered by the City of Chicago Public Art Program: “Information Translocation” by Gina Hartig Williams and photographs by Patricia Evans.
In 1924, the original home of the North Austin sub-branch opened. It was located in the back of a school supply and candy store at 4928 W. Chicago Avenue. The store and sub-branch closed in winter 1926. In September 1928, library service was relocated to a storefront at 5518 W. North Avenue. It remained there until it became the North Austin Branch in 1987, and moved to the present location.