About This Library
Lincoln Park’s first public library opened December 21, 1942 in a storefront at 744 W. Fullerton Avenue. It offered story hours so popular that by 1945 the Friends of the Lincoln Park Library were asking for a larger facility. After 18 years of service, this library closed October 1, 1960.
On December 1, 1962, the branch reopened at 959 W. Fullerton Avenue on land leased from the McCormick Theological Seminary.
The Friends of the New Lincoln Park Library, the Lincoln Park Conservation Association, the Wrightwood Neighbors, the Sheffield Neighbors and the Lincoln Park Chamber of Commerce later joined in the drive for a new library. DePaul University made renovated rental space available for a new library in a former factory building. The branch officially opened February 11, 1995, and the first day of public service was Valentine’s Day, February 14, 1995.