About This Library
Merlo Branch was rededicated December 8, 1988, after undergoing a major renovation. In June 1993, John M. Merlo Branch, formerly Lake View Branch, was renamed in memory of John Merlo, a local community leader and longtime Chicago politician.
The two-story building was designed by City Architect Paul Gerhardt; sculptor Abbott Pattison designed the frieze above the front entrance. The branch houses art by Martyl, Louise Papageorge and Michael Ryan, funded through the Percent for Art Ordinance administered by the City of Chicago Public Art Program.
The former Lake View Branch opened September 14, 1942 at its present location. Earlier, a storefront named the Broadway Branch existed at 3119 N. Broadway Avenue. Broadway Branch served the Lake View community from 1925 through 1942.