About This Library
Independence Branch opened July 15, 1995 in a renovated facility, replacing a smaller storefront.
The Irving Park Woman’s Club was instrumental in founding Independence Branch. Established in 1888 as a literary society, the organization had a keen interest in books and libraries. As early as 1901, each member was asked to donate one book or magazine to form the nucleus of a circulating library. In 1909, two members visited Chief Librarian Henry Legler to discuss the possibility of establishing a branch library in Irving Park.
In 1911, Independence Branch opened at Fox Drug Store, 4200 W. Irving Park Road. In July 1914, the library moved to the second floor of the Independence Park Fieldhouse, and in 1928, to a double storefront at 3718 W. Irving Park Road, where it remained for 67 years, until 1995.