About This Library
There has been a library in the Humboldt Park community since 1912, when a small branch opened on May 27 at North and Fairfield avenues. Over the years, a branch occupied six locations before relocating to its present site, which was dedicated July 13, 1996.
A 5,000-square-foot expansion with sustainable features, including a rain-harvesting system for irrigation and conservation of water use, opened February 9, 2013. The expansion added space to the branch for the incorporation of additional technology, expanded shelving for teen materials, and a bright and welcoming new reading room. The new space also features a YOUmedia digital learning area for teens. This innovative, 21st century learning space has been designed and created to connect young adults with books, media, mentors and institutions throughout the City of Chicago to inspire collaboration and creativity.