About This Library
Hegewisch Branch was dedicated December 7, 1991, replacing a small storefront.
The community first received library services shortly after World War II in the form of an on-loan fiction collection housed in the basement of a local funeral home. Between 1951 and 1960, library services expanded to include bookmobile visits for five hours a week. A storefront facility opened in 1960 and served the community until mid-1991.