Harold Washington Library Center
Literature and Language Department
The Literature and Language Department provides a wide array of resources on the various aspects of human language and on many of the world's literatures.
400 South State Street
Chicago, Illinois 60605
- Fiction: Novels and short stories representing every genre are continuously added to the English language fiction collection, which is the largest such collection in the Midwest. Its emphases include classics, literary fiction, African American fiction, gay and lesbian fiction, mysteries, science fiction, fantasy, and the work of Chicago and Illinois writers.
- Literature: The Literature collection contains all English language literary works not classified as novels or short stories. This includes drama, poetry, literary criticism and history, literary biography, the craft of writing, the publishing industry, journalism, public speaking, language and linguistics, the graphic novel, and humor.
- Large Print: The extensive large print collection features fiction and popular non-fiction topics.
- World Languages: The World Language collection meets the needs both of native speakers and of those interested in language study. The Department collects fiction and nonfiction in many languages, reflecting local language populations in its areas of emphasis. In addition, the Department provides an extensive circulating collection of language learning materials in a wide range of current formats. A growing collection of English as a Second Language (ESL) material and Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) is included here.
- Periodicals: Ongoing English language periodical subscriptions, as well as extensive retrospective holdings, support and extend the Department's book collections. The Department also maintains current subscriptions to popular newspapers and magazines in many of the world's languages.