About This Library
Edgebrook Branch was dedicated August 24, 2000, replacing a much smaller storefront facility.
The branch houses art representing a varied approach to landscape themes by five artists: Tom Denlinger, Jason Salavon, Yun-Hee Toh, Paula Townsend and James Winn. The artwork was funded through the Percent for Art Ordinance administered by the City of Chicago Public Art Program.
Edgebrook Branch first opened July 21, 1947 at 5508 W. Devon Avenue as a sub-branch of Northtown Branch. The year the library opened, 11 children made the honor roll in a reading game and were invited by the children’s librarian to enjoy a day with her at the Brookfield Zoo. A larger facility later opened at 6438 N. Central Avenue. On April 23, 1973 Edgebrook Branch opened in a storefront at 5426 W. Devon Avenue, where the branch remained until relocating to the present site.