About This Library
Dunning Branch serves an area that takes its name from the community originally settled just after the Civil War by farmer-turned-real estate developer Andrew Dunning. Dunning later took on significance as the original name for the state hospital, municipal poorhouse and cemeteries that occupied land along the community’s northern boundary.
Library service to this community began on January 27, 1953 with a weekly bookmobile stop at Oketo Avenue and Addison Street and continued with the opening of a small storefront, West Addison Branch, in June 1960.
The Dunning Branch collection includes books, newspapers, magazines, educational and entertainment DVDs, databases for online research, computers to access the Internet, programs, other services for all ages and a large reading garden. The land on which the branch is constructed was generously donated by the Chicago Board of Education.
Dunning Branch features environmentally sustainable construction, and a gold certification is anticipated under the Leadership in Energy and Environmental Design (LEED) Green Building Rating System developed by the U.S. Green Building Council.