About This Library
Harold A. Bezazian Branch opened January 26, 1957. Designed by City Architect Paul Gerhardt, Jr., the facility was named after Lieutenant Harold A. Bezazian, World War II hero and resident of the Uptown neighborhood.
Bezazian was born November 9, 1911 and graduated from Swift School, Senn High School and Columbia University. He worked as a magazine editor and reporter before enlisting in the army in 1941. Bezazian was eventually promoted to first lieutenant and served in Iceland, England and the Philippines, where he died in the Battle of Luzon on March 11, 1945.
Bezazian’s father made a donation in memory of his son toward the construction of the Bezazian Branch, which became the 17th branch of the Chicago Public Library.