About This Library
Avalon Branch opened March 7, 2006, replacing a smaller rented storefront at 8828 S. Stony Island Avenue. Architectural features include cathedral ceilings and clerestory windows. The mural on the clerestory was funded through the Percent for Art Ordinance administered by the City of Chicago Public Art Program.
Avalon Branch features environmentally sustainable construction under the Leadership in Energy and Environmental Design (LEED) Green Building Rating System developed by the U.S. Green Building Council.
Avalon Branch first opened in 1928 in the community house of the Avalon Park Church at 81st Street and Dante Avenue.